Saturday, October 16, 2010

Naltrexone - The Alcohol and Drug Pill

It has almost been ten years since nicotine patches and gums hit over-the-counter shelves. Now there is help for people who want to quick using alcohol: Naltrexone. This blog is an introduction to the study of Naltrexone on myself.

The 50mg tablet is taken orally once a day. Treatment is popularly administered for 90 days. I have just completed the first 30 days and I testify that Naltrexone helps me physically and mentally quit craving alcohol.

I experience very few side effects. In the first week, I was very aware of taking the pill, and looked for physical reactions. During that week I felt a little dizzy and lacked some energy, but coffee took care of that easily. About a week later, my body adjusted and the caffeine was not necessary. Today, I may still lack energy very few times; but never experience nausea, headaches or anything else. I function fine: great appetite, focus at work, energy for the gym, good attitude with people.

The prescription costs about $60 for a 30-day supply.I pick mine up at the local Walmart - it is accessible and safe. Like any other medication, it comes with a label that provides a complete description. If I have any questions, my doctor will help. He already saw me for our first follow-up appointment after one month and we agreed to a final follow-up appointment toward the end of three months.

Naltrexone is a pure opiod receptor antagonist.It blocks the effects of intravaneously administered opiods.The information provided with the prescription, manufactured by BARR LABORATORIES, INC. in Pomona, NY for TEVA PHARMACEUTICALS USA in Sellersville, PA states that "the mechanism of action of naltrexone in alcoholism is not understood." However, it also states that in clinical tests it has shown to reduce alcohol consumption.

I am not a clinical study. I heard of this pill, and a couple of others, through a family friend. I chose to try it because I was curious about it the same way a smoker may be curious about the nicotine patch or gum to physically help quitting.My doctor in Los Angeles, CA, briefly described the pill and treatment. His name is Dr. Hector Castillo, and his office is in Huntington Park.He mentioned that if I drank heavily while on this medication, I would suffer a terrible hangover.

I did not drink for the first couple of weeks. But when I finally did, I automatically understood what neltrexone does. It blocks the effects of alcohol. I can't get drunk right away. I can taste the alcohol and feel it's strength, in the sense that I can feel the "heat" of a shot of whiskey or tequila. But I cannot feel it go to my head. Instead, I feel a pressure, like a sinus pressure. It really feels llike something blocks it from my brain.

Physically, this helps me because it doesn't feel good right away - and that is one of the most appealing traits of alcohol. Mentally, I am given more reaction time to consider that I don't really want to drink anymore. And that's why I don't crave it much at all right now. I don't want to waste my time with alcohol to help me relax or enjoy myself more, because I know that my body won't react right away by relaxing or physically feeling better. I'm going to get a headache instead. I don't depend on it to alter my mood or change how my body feels.

I don't think alcohol is bad. I am glad to taste something special. But ordinary booze for a habit afterwork, at dinner,or to celebrate wasn't special to me anymore. It was something I thought I should outgrow, and not depend on like candy for a kid as a reward for myself. Neltrexone will help if you are serious about not consumong alcohol anymore. The longer I take it, the more I use my time and money for other things, and pay less attention to cravings for an ordinary old drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment