Friday, September 13, 2019

Recovery Life, A Personal Intro to Treatment


socialmodelrecovery.org

Dave Sanchez, from Strke Out Against Drugs and the sober living home, Beacon of Hope, in the middle of the group during a documentary produced by Voices for Humanity, where he gave a presentation to youths at a summer program in East L.A.



The link above takes you to the main website of Social Model Recovery Systems, Inc., which is a government regulated program that falls under the Department of Health.

In 2017 Social Model took over several rehab centers that used to belong to a private foundation called Mary Lind Foundation, and many things changed under new Medical regulations.

Beginning where I left off in my last post, in 2017 I returned to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, but felt I needed more, so with the persuasion of my therapist I called one of the treatment centers on a list and began my connection with Social Model and The Royal Palms.

The link above has info on all of Social Model treatment centers, including Royal Palms.

After a phone screening, I was told to interview at the Royal Palms, so within days, I interviewed and was admitted to my first rehab.

The most important thing in the process was that I had Medical, because under Social Model, Royal Palms relied on clients who paid with Medical.

I began to learn the schedule and attend groups where the all-male home discussed topics such as Coping Skills, Relapse Prevention, Anger Management, Addiction, and more.

There were also Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous meetings every night.

I began to learn things about my drug and alcohol use that had more to do with emotional control and self-awareness than partying and having a good time.

However, before 30 days, I was elected Resident Council President and the rest of my time in treatment became very distracted and sidetracked.

Before Social Model, treatment under Mary Lind Foundation lasted for about 6 months or more, and clients were allowed extended stays that could last for years until they were ready to transition back into society.

Under new 2017 Medical guides, clients received a 60 day treatment program, with an extra 30 day option. 3 months.

For someone new to recovery like myself, and especially new to rehab and drug and alcohol treatment programs, there was an unacknowledged pressure to recover in 3 months.

On top of that pressure, I had many duties as Resident President, and was often more concerned with clerical work than with any group therapy, group classes, or anything related to treatment.

I tried to talk to one of the two counselors that the house of over 60 men had, but they were always busy adjusting to the Medical procedures that involved new software with standardized fields to fill in order to account for all clients.

I ended up relapsing right before my 90 days were up, but they allowed me to stay and complete my program.

Part of the appeal to work with the Royal Palms was that in the initial intake interview, a counselor said that they would help me find transitional housing after 90 days.

But we hardly met, counselor and client, at all; and I remember when I was feeling stressed over the Resident President duties, telling my appointed counselor that I didn't want to do those duties anymore, and his response was that I was"being of service," and that was an important part of my recovery.

In the end, I didn't get much treatment because of the distractions and I was given a last minute resort to housing at a sober living home called Beacon of Hope.

At Beacon of Hope, I offered to volunteer as a cook, and they were very much in need of one.
I cooked a lot for the house at first, and then began working with one of the house managers, Dave Sanchez, who directed an organization that he created called Strike Out Against Drugs.

Though this was a sober living home with over 50 men - they offered 80 available beds; many of the men there were not always sober.
I relapsed a few times before looking for more treatment. The General manager always allowed me to stay.

But I knew that I still needed something more, so I called Social Model again, and soon was admitted into my second treatment program.

I will continue to post more about my recovery story.
That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment